Monday, November 28, 2011
In a major overhaul of the team design since the switch in focus from elite basketball to elite cycling, the new gear features the spectacular new logo and a splash of fiery red, but maintains the emphasis on the menacing black that characterizes the team.
The kit, including jerseys & shorts (pictured below), caps, and arm warmers & leg warmers (we highly value the warmth of our peripheries around here) has been designed and supplied by the magnificent team at Tineli. In a first for this website, I would like to give an unreserved and genuine endorsement to Jono and the rest of the gang at Tineli, who have turned a back-of-the-envelope design into the awesome gear that will, from this day on, be seen climbing Lofty at record speed.
Future posts will include more images of the gear, as modeled by your favourite Black Fish cyclists (please send your modeling requests to email@example.com).
Sunday, November 27, 2011
All three riders showed outstanding form, and were so far ahead of their expected pace that they stopped for some publicity shots along the way. These photos are for you, Black Fish fans, because we love you.
Thursday, November 3, 2011
Nonetheless, the rumour gained extra momentum earlier today when McEwen was seen in talks with the Black Fish skipper, and even dedicated a copy of his recent autobiography 'One Way Road' to the mighty Black Fish cycling juggernaut. Stay tuned for more details...
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Thursday, August 4, 2011
Last minute contract negotiations between BF management and BMC are ongoing, but we remain hopeful that a transfer deal will be in place in time for Cadel to line up for the Fish in the 2012 TdU. The main obstacle at this stage remains Cadel's reluctance to undergo the indescribable pain of weekly sufferfest sessions at Dicky's House o' Pain in the months prior to the event. For only the very hardest of characters can endure that degree of pain. In return for his attendance, current BF cycling team members have agreed to spend the next few months growing arse-chins.
And in even more exciting news, when Cadel dons the BF strip in January (if he hardens up a bit), he will be wearing the new (official) Black Fish cycling gear. Stay tuned for more information on how you too can soon be the proud owner of official Black Fish merchandise.
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Sunday, March 6, 2011
It was an elite quartet of Black Fish cyclists that tackled the 2011 Coast to Coast ride. Super Fish Whittle, Edwards, Weeks & Dwyer rose before dawn to set out on the 120km journey from Glenelg to Victor Harbor. Regrettably, experienced Coast to Coaster Rodgers was unable to return from the training camp in Penang in time to rejoin the team. Fortunately, this meant at least 3 fewer tyre change stops for the rest of the team.
And indeed it was a trouble-free day for the Fish, who covered the
distance with considerable ease and a surfeit of style. The other
competitors could only look on in awe as the tight drive train scythed
through the hapless peloton. Under sunny skies the Fish arrived
together at Victor Harbor in record time, sans mishaps, sans injuries,
sans discomfort, and sans compare.
Another superb chapter in the unparalleled history of this magnificent
A gallery of Black Fish heroes:
Richard "the-Flatter-the-Better" Weeks
The incomparable Sam Edwards, whose battle to complete the Coast to Coast despite the ravages of childhood polio has inspired a generation.
Recent recruit, Finola "Victory-or-Death" Dwyer
Polio-man demonstrating the subtlety of the modifications to his bike (which uses patented Cancellara hidden-motor technology).
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Saturday, January 22, 2011
- Finola's flat tyre at the 0.2 km mark
- The entire 8000-strong peloton vanishing into the distance, along with the support vans, police and ambulance, leaving the Black Fish in exactly last place
- The limitless procession of slow-riding idiots who found it acceptable to ride in the right lane so that all passing manoevres required a pact with the devil
- Aforementioned leg Oedema Man's singular effort to prevent at least three Fish from completing the Checker Hill climb
- All the other clowns who, like Oedema Man, sought to prevent any of the Fish from completing Checker Hill (which they have previously proven to be within their capabilities)
- Sam E and Alex R kissing some dirt on Checker Hill
- Sam W crashing into a stationary car in Mt Barker, leaving an attractive sunscreen-smear on the rear window
- Having "We Built This City" by Starship as an (inexplicable) earworm for the majority of the six-hour ride to Strathalbyn
- Other teams with hilarious 'pun' names (examples: "Diff'rent Spokes", "Mud, Sweat and Gears")
- Bizarre sub-zero temperatures at the Macclesfield refreshment station
- Sam E's wrong turn in the final kilometres (and subsequent heroic, but bonk-crippled attempt to rejoin the group)
- The traffic jam in Strathalbyn on the way home
- And not just finishing, but all Black Fish arriving in style, looking fresh (and still pretty), with no fractures or bleeding
- The glorious weather for almost all of the race
- Not being in outpatients
- Rejoining the peloton in Athelstone after giving it a 30-minute head start
- The super work by Katie E and Kate W to bring the heroes home
- Beer number 1
- Beers 2-5
- Richard and Kate's drunken lamb
Monday, January 17, 2011
There is a palpable sense of excitement surging through the internet, as the mighty Black Fish sporting club returns to cyberspace. Since the unfortunate demise of the on-court arm of the Black Fish Basketball Club, the members of this proud organization have battled the forces of geographic dispersion and next-generation-of-black-fish-creation in order to diversify the sports that will be dominated by Black Fish in the future.